Marathon Training Week 6 – July 13-19 2015

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 8.16.16 PM

Well, been a very successful week. Partly because not much is going on at the moment. I’m usually busy with the regular, everyday stuff – mainly work, family comments and such but this week just went quite. … Here’re a couple of things I managed to do in this week:



On Tuesday I ran my best tempo run yet.  I was not looking forward to it at all.  Apparently doing tempo runs 2 days after my long runs is a cause of more sweat and tears than I care to remember!  I do them in hopes of improving and praying in the end gets easier but it never does, not yet anyway but I’m sure that will happen.  Oh, wait!  I’ve been saying that for weeks and the only thing that happens is that I suffer longer with every passing week.  This week was different.  I improved on the dreaded tempo, running mind numbing circles on the track.  I ran a 3km warmup like normal but then my splits looked like this..(7km) 4:45, 4:33, 4:36, 4:38, 4:36, 4:36 and BAM – a 4:25!!! hows that for improving.  Oh how sweet it is!




Thursday was somewhat reticent of my childhood.  I somehow ended up standing in front of my parents home that I sold a few years ago.  It’s sad that my mom and dad didn’t get to see me run in my adult years, I’m sure they would have been proud of what I’ve been able to achieve so far.  The last time I ran in my old hood was grade 8 when I was 13 or 14 years old, so that would be like  30 years ago!  ok, I think it might be best not to think about it..LOL

My child hood home and run the streets as I did when I was a kid growing up

My child hood home and run the streets as I did when I was a kid growing up

I got changed at the mall that was on Steeles Ave next tot he 401 and made my way over to the house.  Standing there I took this picture to capture the moments.  I cried for my mom and dad then pulled it together, I had 13k I needed to get in before I headed home.  As I ran down Cliffwood Rd to Don Mills I had memories that I forgot I had.  Running memories when I was the fastest kid in the school.  Yup I was the dude, the guy everyone wanted to beat.  It ever happened I stayed on top until my running injury sidelined my for the summer after grade 8.  I never ran after that, until now.  I rounded the corner at Cliffwood Plaza and pushed on down Don Mill but not before seeing Tasty Bread.  It’s still there after all these years..WOW!  I remember getting cupcakes and eating them before going home at the end of the school day, oh they were so amazing!  My Dad use to go and buy all our bread there every Sat that he was home otherwise it was my mom that did it.  I turned right at Freshmeadow and quickly passed my old elementary school.  The memories sucked at that school so I pushed on faster. I can to Cliffwoord now and turned right and ran past my house again, I did my loop I did when I was I kid but this time I did it much faster.  I ran for just over an hour and loved every minute, even as I climbed up the HILL on Steeles Ave.  All in all it was a fun time running my old streets.




SIMG_9674unday called for 22km.  I had not so good idea about going to Blue Mountain and running to Collingwood then back to the village in a Whopping 34C 100% humidity.  Yeah real smart right…LOL  I thought if the ultra runners that ran on Sat could handle it so could I.  My friend Gabe was up there that weekend with his family and mentioned that I should come visit them at copper blues for lunch.  I said I was say hi but had to get my run in for the day.  He laughed at me and told me I was crazy to be running in the heat but I didn’t care.  I had my mojo cooking 😉

I had 3 litres of water with me and a few dates, time to run.  I made it 2 km before it poured down, nice way to start the run.  After the rain it sun came back out but it got EVEN hotter.  I was cooking out on the trails.  No shade and for some reason I was running splits way to fast for my long run.  5:22, 5:15, 5:12…what was I thinking…Yeah that’s when the wheels came to a halt.  Yup I was burning up, slowing down and after 9km my pace was 5:40, then 6:49, 7:37…You get the picture..I had to stop and walk for a bit…Then I realized on my way back to the village I was running UP HILL in the afternoon SUN….Not good.  I pulled into the village after 19k and put I stop to the madness.  I had been running for almost 2 hours and that was enough for me, time to hit the showers at the Plunge. They only charge $5.00 so I really had to have one.. I felt like crap.

Note to self – when you can cook an egg on the road, it’s better to stay indoors!




Categories: Training

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: