2015 Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon Race Report

IMG_2762My legs said STOP…SLOW DOWN… why must we do this?  I was starting to think too much, everything seemed to be in slow motion.  I wondered if this was how it would end.  My mind was shutting me down second by second.

I had 39 kilometres in the bag and I wanted to start using my five words, my motivational running mantra. But through the race, I had also been anticipating that moment when my healing right foot would rebel, when the waves would come crashing down and would burst — would strike deeper into the core of the muscle and bone. My legs were spinning, maintaining the pace I had asked of them, time and time again during training.  BUT I could feel it building…….the Jello feeling, every time my foot came crashing down my quads SCREAMED and wobbled.

When the 38th kilometre struck, my foot slowly started threatening a revolt. I pointed my right foot forward and to the inside so the balls of my feet would absorb more of the impact, shielding the outside from the pounding. I had been running for three hours, 10 minutes, and the five words I had planned to use on repeat were hastily replaced. I’d need that mantra later during the final push up Bay Street but right now that seamed so far away. I wasn’t going to waste it now.  I needed to see them, I needed their energy, I NEEDED their LOVE.

“Come On Dave……DIG,” I muttered between breaths. “Dig, Dig, Dig,” I said, wishing, willing the lactic acid away.

The quads throbbed. I thought about slowing some more.

Then behind me I heard the words, “Dave, you’ve got this man”.  It came from my running buddy Wade.  He was with me, right behind, pushing me on, urging me forward, prodding me with a branding iron of words of encouragement.  I replied back with “So do you Wade…Dig, buddy, dig”.  Then it went silent, it was like all the sound was sucked from the space around me.

The time was right, it was here and now that I needed the help as tears started to roll down my checks.

**************** One & Half Years Ago****************

Yup, I was a BIG guy back in 2013. I tipped the scales at 266lbs

Yup, I was a BIG guy back in 2013. I tipped the scales at 266lbs

There were several things that all came together in a perfect storm to motivate my change in lifestyle.   Being a Realtor I’m in the public eye a lot and I need to be at my best.  For me personally, the main thing that prompted my desire to change my life was FEAR. After watching my Dad struggle with his health, going and in and out of hospitals and finally passing away at the age of 83, my own health issues gave me the final push I needed to change my lifestyle. I thank my Doctor uttering the words that put the FEAR in me…She said “David you have VERY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE: 169/110. You’re going to need to go on medication”

Over the last year I have lost roughly 90 lbs. I didn’t follow a specific program.  It was more of a lifestyle change, I simply stuck to living a gluten-free, vegan lifestyle and exercising. That seemed like the best routine for me. Overall I wanted to change my lifestyle habits in ways that I could maintain long-term. From being overweight 266lbs for the past 10 years it was constantly a daily fight to keep the weight off and achieve the life goals I so badly needed.

“This is the first time I’ve trained for a marathon,” I told a friend of mine during the months of training.  I really didn’t know much when I started but I’m the type of person who when I get my mind set on something I will see that it gets completed.  I like stats, numbers and reading about other peoples stories.  So with that I started to read books such as Daniels RUNNING Formula (Jack Daniels, PhD), RUNNING The complete Guide to Building Your Running Program (John Stanton), Eat and Run (Scott Jurek), Born To Run (Chris McDonnell) and articles on body mechanics, muscle function, proper running form, recovery and many videos on You Tube such as Sage Canaday of VO2 Max Productions. All these helped me understand the challenge I was facing.

As simple as this may sound, one of the things that helped me most was to live in the moment and forget about the past.  I was going to rewrite my story one run at a time.

It takes a lot of discipline, perseverance, hard work, commitment and sheer guts to do something as BIG as this and I love when people tell me that you can’t do something….it lights a fire within me and it BURNS…

My buildup over the last year went almost flawlessly until I hurt the bottom of my right foot after a 32km long run in a pair of shoes that didn’t have very much cushion.  This was almost immediately followed by 2 weeks off due to food poisoning and catching a flu bug.

Other than those 3 setbacks I was getting stronger, working on my stride and running technique. I was paying attention to the details — speed work, strength work, hill repeats, fartleks and healthy diet. I was listening to the body. My races were awesome since everything was a first, a personal best, including a 5K and 10K and half marathon PB and I had run 37km to be confident in the distance — even with the sore foot and the reduced mileage in the past few weeks.

Running marathons is extremely hard work. People in the running community say getting to the start line healthy is 95% of the battle and I couldn’t agree more.  Foot aside, I was fit, strong, in the ZONE and ready to race.

Pre Race

Dave Prerace

Just arrived at City Hall 7:40am

Prerace preparation was something that started about 3 days before the race.  I did the carb load with brown rice pasta and sweet potatoes.  I don’t think I have ever eaten so much pasta–about 600g in total carbs.

IMG_2595I did, however, break one rule of running: don’t wear anything new and don’t try anything new in your race. I ended up wearing arm-warmers I picked them up at the Expo on Friday. I just didn’t know what the weather was going to do.  It’s better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them…LOL

Waking up on race morning, the weather was the first thing on my mind.  It was a gorgeous cold race morning. There was a wind but it was a mere 5km/h and the temperature was calling for 1C at the start, rising to 5-7C by noon and there was NO rain in the forecast. Perfect weather conditions. It looked like I was going to use the arm-warmers after all. The rest of my race gear included: technical t-shirt, gloves, shorts and a buff. It ended up being the perfect gear as I was never too warm or cold.

Me, Amy and Wade at the yellow corral

Me, Amy and Wade at the yellow corral

After arriving about 45minutes before the race I was able to shoot some video, take some pictures and find my running friends.  I didn’t take long to round everyone up.  Wade and Amy where in the yellow corral with me, we had been out running before and they are both had their goals set for the day.  Wade wanted a PB and Amy wanted to qualify for Boston.  She needed to run 3:40 to have a chance to register.  I also wanted to qualify but my time would have to be faster than 3:15 and for running my first marathon that was a Dream I had been chasing since June.

The training is complete, I’m injury free, I’m HERE and I’ll run as fast as my legs will take me.  If I didn’t get a BQ time then I would still be happy for a 3:30-3:45.

Standing at start line I was electrified, confident, focused. But something was different this morning from other race mornings. I was surrounded by so many friends — who I’ve run hundreds of miles with; new running friends I’ve just made in the running scene; social media runners from Toronto and other towns and cities. Everywhere I looked at the start corral, I traded a hug, a handshake and wished others good luck. I wasn’t going to run this race solo, I wasn’t alone.

IMG_2781There have been many times I’ve had to force myself to put the shoes on and get out there in the rain, snow, wind, early mornings or late at night and train and train harder than I have ever had to train in my life. I’ve wanted to cut training runs short when I was tired. Whisper slow down and walk your heart rate is too high. My inner voice was so strong sometimes it was hard to ignore.  I had to become VERY strong-willed to muzzle the constant complaining.  I had to become stronger than that voice.

Once the countdown started, I found myself on the track back in my town running intervals…….”push, push, push” I would say…urging myself forward in the relentless heat of the summer.   I thought about all the tempo/fartlek SLD runs I had managed to run. All the correct nutrition I had added to my diet.

I whispered to myself “This is for you Mom and Dad” and immediately started to cry.  This was about to change my life: here I was sobbing, about to do the hardest thing physically that I’ve ever attempted in my life. I find that Sport brings out the true raw emotions in every athlete.  I had become in my eyes a Plant Running Athlete and was surrounded by 26,000 fellow runners.  While standing in the corral it was hard not to notice their whispers, their body language, their energy.  Everyone was here for their own reason, their own story.  I was happy to be among this new group of people all running for different reasons and causes.

In training I’d run 32km in 32c in the peak of a summer and survived, I’d run 37km at night when it was cooler, but this, this would be the real deal the full 42.2km. No more easy pacing. This was going to be EPIC!  Hold nothing back, leave it all out on the course and run as fast as I can.  In my mind the race was already won, even if I didn’t qualify for Boston. I had my health,  that was enough.  That was most important thing.  So, with my game face on….the journey began.


Video Of Race But I Thing My Words Say It BEST!



Having some fun shooting some video

Having some fun shooting some video

The horn went off and I thought I was going to get settled on the pace, but I was also trying to find Wade and Amy.  Somehow we got split up in the crowd of other runners.  I also had my selfie stick out doing my best to capture the moment, my wife thought I was crazy and so did I..LOL.   At around the 1.5km point I found Wade running to the right of me.  I joined him stride for stride still trying to find the easy running feeling. The first 3km were uphill and I saw that my first two splits were around 16 to 18 seconds off pace of 4:30/km. I knew I would find the pace at some point and promised not to go any faster than what I was already running.  I really wanted to keep the pace around 5:15/km but that looked like it was not going to happen, there was too much energy. The weather was stunning, very light wind and it seemed everyone had found their grove, so limited weaving was happening. As we passed 2K and headed west on Bloor, I realized that my wife and daughter where not there.  I wondered what had happened to them.  I looked at my watch: we were going too fast.  It wasn’t that they where late getting there it was just my pace was much faster than I had told them.

We passed the ROM then University of Toronto’s Football field and the crowd was crazy loud!!!  The energy was intense and I found myself firing off a few faster kilometres, a 4:32 3K, a 4:40 4K. Keep it easy, I told myself, even as the emotions started to surface. Hold on for the ride, you’re going to need everything you have to finish this.  A BQ was still in the back of my mind as I ran down Bathurst.

I knew if I wanted the BQ I had to pick it up but I also had it in the back of my mind that I needed to run smart and to my ability.  42km is a long time to be running.  Norm from Running Free told me to run a 5:15 first half then I would have to speed up and run a negative split on the second with a 4:16. that would get me 3:12:00.  Three minutes faster than my BQ.  I had to decide what I was going to do and I needed to decide relatively fast as the km where ticking by. Fist I had to settle down from all the excitement, I also needed to decide if I was going to keep my selfie stick or give it away.

orig-TWBP4213As we made the turn onto Fort York Blvd I remembered my fist 10km race and how sprinting to the finish made me feel.  This stretch of road is where that happened earlier in the year, I was lost in thought with the memories of that cold April morning.  Time really does fly.  “Dave can you hold this”  it was Wade.  He was getting a bit over heated and needed to lose some layers.  He handed me his Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon shirt along with his bib number and then another shirt…It was funny running down the road with all his things along with my handheld and selfie stick.  Just before I started to hand things back to him I realized that I dropped his NEW shirt…Sorry Man I didn’t realize it was gone until it was too late.  Wade was a good sport and said not to worry about it. We made the decision to hand all of our things to Jodi from our local Running Free store at the 17km mark.  That was 9km from now.. All this was happing while we where running 4:53 pace.

I was looking forward to the Lakeshore stretch, which is made for fast running — nice and wide, very well paved roads and the sun behind me…this was going to be great. Not only that but you could see the elites coming back at you.

These are the fun km’s, I told myself. Nice and easy, I said to myself as we passed the CNE, headed for the turnaround.

Splits: 4:48, 4:46, 4:32, 4:48, 4:40, 4:35, 4:47, 4:53, 4:46, 4:56
10K (Actual 48:04 / Target: 52:00)
Pace for 1-10K : 4:48K

orig-TWBP816510km – 21.1km

I hit the 10K mark four minutes faster than my target pace so by the time we were headed back after High Park, I felt that it was time to slow it down just a bit. I knew there were a lot of half marathoners around me so I was trying not to use their efforts to guide my pace. I had to listen to my own internal pace and do my best to stay in the moment. I knew there was still a lot of road to run and hills were still ahead of me — ridiculously so — but I was confident in my training and in my ability.  There was no question whether I would finish or not, but with what time?  It was becoming very clear that my race was not going according to plan but I was happy and still running.  The sun felt so nice on my face and body, the energy that I had was wonderful and I was soaking in the experience.  By 13km I was running back to the city and I could see the CN Tower and the Toronto skyline, it put a smile on my face and I kept on running.
My job in the first half was to keep calm, find the rhythm and pay attention to the details — did I take the gel I had promised I’d do every 8K? Was my stride bouncy? Was my breathing easy and manageable?  Oh wait…I was talking quite a bit to Wade and I had not really been paying attention to my breathing but things where easy and I was having a HUGE amount of fun.

orig-TWAV1145At this point in the race I could SEE thousands of runners from the green and purple corrals running toward us.  I was keeping an eye out for Amy as she was sticking to the 3:35 pace bunny but I didn’t see them.  About 40 mins later I started to see friends of mine Gabe, Sarah, Trevor, Tim, and I think I saw Tara.  I was so happy, I was filming and talking then we saw the 17km marker.  I had finished my Tailwind and the handheld was empty, my phone was running out of battery so I made the decision to give Jodi my handheld bottle and selfie stick.  As we came into view of the 18km point, there was Jodi: screaming so loud it gave me shivers.  I just dumped my stuff without much of a word, the only thing I could say was thanks….and I kept on running.

The course took us up the overpass , adding some elevation, I felt much lighter now. I had to remind myself that I had a few hills to run later in the race and now that there was no more filming I could stay focused.  . I had been slowing down the last few kilometres, but mostly staying around the 5 minute range. I don’t know if I was I was trying to hold back or it was starting to get harder.  So I picked up the pace a bit and Wade followed stride for stride.

Once we split from the half marathoners, I felt like the race had just begun for me. If I was really was holding back the first 21.1km, now it became a different race. More lonely, fewer runners to pace with; and the thought of facing some uphills was eating at me. I was lucky though, having a running buddy really made a difference.  We crossed half together, which I hit 8 minutes ahead of my target time, 1:50:00. Wade and I had both set a PB in the Half and that was great but….we now had to do it all over again but this time we had to go faster….

Splits: 4:58, 4:59, 5:06, 5:03, 5:05, 5:01, 5:04, 5:03, 4:45, 4:50;4:38
Half (Actual 1:42:01 / Target: 1:50:00)
Pace for 10K-21.1K : 4:57K

HOW BAD DID I WANT THIS BQ?  This year was my 1st Scotiabank race – I had run only 1 half marathon and here I was running my first FULL.  Everyone said a marathon will change you forever, it could crush you, it could make you do things that you never thought possible or the race might not go the way you had hoped for. This was my first attempt at a marathon and my first at a BQ.  I needed 3:12.  That would get me under by 3 minutes and since the cut off time for the 2016 Boston Marathon was 2 minutes 28 seconds under the 3:15 (Males 40-44) I thought 3 minutes would do it for 2017.

But today I was going to be running the farthest distance I had ever run in my life. I for one had no idea how that would feel or if the lactic acid would shut me down during the final push. Since June I had been training HARD, SMART and to my ABILITY.  I had trained for this race, this moment and was going to go for it.

I love running longer distances because while running provides me time to think, to be in the moment, the last half of a marathon I thought would be a will to survive . Distance running is a pursuit, when you have nothing left it will ask you for more and IF you don’t have it to give you will HIT THE WALL HARD — you need to slowly distribute your energy, exercise control, while you work on running economy, fuelling and pace management even in those early kilometres. Other marathon runners say the first 30km’s is the warmup, the race comes after. Pain will come after that point, the form it comes in will be different for every runner.   It could be a cramp, the dreaded wall or a lack of will.  I didn’t know what my pain will be but I did know I would NOT lack WILL.

21.1 to 25km

IMG_9298Wade and I headed east along Queens Quay, I was looking forward to seeing my daughter and wife who were waiting for me at around the 22km point on Cherry Street.  As we rounded the corner from lakeshore I could see them wearing their pink “Team Dave” hoodies that Julie had made just for ME.  They surprised me the night before at the hotel and they even got me one but it was white not pink…LOL.   I slowed down a bit and ran toward them.  Julie handed me my a new bottle of Tailwind, Katie was taking pictures like a asked her to and I started to cry as I passed headed up past the Canary District/Corktown Common. I was so happy to see them standing there cheering me on it gave me a boost for just a minute. It was just what I needed. I didn’t need to worry about what happened earlier on.

This section of the course was a north-south out and back that killed a few k’s. It was a really nice stretch and I liked it, being able to see who was ahead and behind, able to wave and give encouragement to friends.  I saw Amy and thought she needed to pick it up a bit if she wanted a BQ.   I finished my bottle of Tailwind and chucked it to the side of the road.  I looked at my watch and decided that a BQ was not in my cards for today.  I was slowing down not getting faster.  I was ok with the fact that it was not going to happen, I just wanted to see how fast I really could run the full distance.

Splits: 4:38, 5:10, 5:04, 4:59, 5:14
25K (Actual 2:07:06 / Target – who cares)
Pace for 21.1K to 25K: 5:01K


orig-TWBL0861We headed back toward Eastern and started to climb the overpass, which was the major hill that I’d have to climb again at the 40K mark. I was not looking forward to the return trip up and over this thing.  Wade told me that we should take it easy going up the hill. By this point, we were still stride for stride. It was around 28K and I looked at my splits and realized I had slowed down a bit after the Eastern overpass.   My times had slipped to some low 5:16s. So I took the job of getting back on pace.  It was around this time that Wade said not to wait around for him, if I had more in the tank then I should go and push on. I had a feeling that Wade would not give up so easily.  I knew we where getting slower and slower but I also know Wade and I know he is not a quitter.  I said ok and kept on running.

I was starting to get a bit worried I was using all of my stored energy even before I hit the 30K mark, so I just focused, pushing away the notion that things were getting harder.  I had taken 2 of my Endurance Tap gels and made a note that my next 2 had to be gone by 35k.  I had a full bottle of Tailwind left and that must also be mostly gone as well by then.  Up until this point I had consumed 600 calories during the race and I still had 400 left.  I was still sweating and there was no sign of cramps but the lactic acid was starting to build…

Splits: 5:07, 5:16, 5:08, 5:10, 5:13
30K (Actual 2:33:08 / Target: need to finish)
Segment pace 5:10K


Queen street turn around

Queen street turn around

I like the out-back nature of this race, except for the Eastern Ave section and for the rolling Queen Street stretch. I had put a call out for some of my friends to come and cheer me on during this section of the course since they only lived a few minutes away.  Most were out in Kitchener and London for the Oktoberfest festivities that they go to every year so I didn’t think anyone would show up. With the out and back part of the course I knew I would get a lot of strength from seeing fellow runners ahead and behind me. I could take courage from them. I looked forward to seeing my friends. It made me not think about my own pain that would come.

On this stretch, I knew there were rolling hills, a sharp turnaround. I tried not to think about the kilometre markers at this point they made me grumble, knowing that if I just focused on running strong that I would keep at bay those negative thoughts that can start making themselves heard at the end of a long-distance race. Still my paces were the slowest so far coming into the Queen Street section — a 5:14 and a 5:16. Then I saw my buddy Gary and his wife Kim and they daughter Ella, I smiled and yelled THANK YOU FOR COMING.  They had NO idea how huge that was for me.  I mean HUGE!  I just hopped they would stay for a bit longer so I could see them again.  I yelled I’ll be back soon…..and kept on running.  Then I turned the corner and saw a Moose mascot.  I ran up to him/her and body checked it as I laughed SO loud that I started to cry again.  I knew I had the cardio I just needed my brain to believe it and let me legs do what they were trained to do.  Push…Push..Push…the crowd was alive and the energy they gave me added to my confidence.  I took another gel then I then I heard Wade say….”Ok, I needed that, I’m back”.  My reply was LETS GO! Stride for Stride…we kept on running up HILL to the turn around at Beach!

Wade leading the way fighting his way back with me having a moment of hurt

Wade leading the way fighting his way back with me having a moment of hurt

We turned around and I saw the skyline. It was a gorgeous day and I remembered living in Toronto and walking down this section of the Queen many times, checking out the pubs, coffee shops helping clients and friends of mine look for their next home, putting in an offer or walking along the boardwalk. My emotions where in full tilt.  It wasn’t time yet for my emotional tsunami — nor was it time to use my mantra.

I saw Amy and she was looking strong, then I saw Gary and Kim again and he gave me a high five…I’m jacked, I’m pumped, I’m loving LIFE!  Then I saw Sharon, Trevor, Victoria (Wade’s wife) on this stretch.  I checked my splits and realized that I had picked up the pace..Whoo Hoo!

Splits: 5:14, 5:16, 4:58, 4:56, 4:57
35K (Actual 2:58:29 / Target: almost there)
Segment pace 5:04K


My friends were now gone and running their own race, Gary and Kim along with Ella where probably having a coffee and something to eat in a nice warm coffee shop along Queen Street somewhere and here I was running down lakeshore while I saw flakes of snow start to fall…LOL!  Wade said, “Dave, see the City skyline?” “Yes,” I replied. “Well that is where we are now running to.  We’re going home and with that I took my last gel and downed the last of my Tailwind.

At 37km I celebrated for about 30 seconds.  I was now running in uncharted territory. I saw my friend Sarah but not my buddy Gabe…Oh, no I thought, what happened.  “Dave, Gabe’s having a hard time cheer him on” then she was gone.  Not long after I saw him struggling, hurting, but he was moving and that was a good thing.  “No excuses, dig deep Gabe you can do this!!!!!!!!” I yelled.  Then I was alone. Just running, running, but I was running to my wife and daughter.

IN TRUTH, you run by yourself, but you can be carried by others. “YOU GOT THIS DAVE!” my running buddy screamed from behind me.

When the 39th kilometre struck, my foot slowly started threatening a revolt. I pointed my right foot forward and to the inside so the balls of my feet would absorb more of the impact, shielding the outside from the pounding. I had been running for three hours, 10 minutes, and the five words I had planned to use on repeat were still in reserve. I’d need that mantra later during the final push up Bay Street but right now that seemed so far away. I wasn’t going to waste it now.  I needed to see them, I needed their energy, I NEEDED their LOVE.

“Come On Dave……DIG,” I muttered between breaths. “Dig, Dig, Dig,” I said, wishing, willing the lactic acid away.

The quads throbbed. I thought about slowing some more.

The time was right, it was here and now I needed the help as tears started to roll down my checks.  Katie, Julie, I LOVE YOU!!!  Push, PUsh, PUSh, PUSH!

In my head, I knew I had done all the work, and now it was time to put in action.

Up the damn OVERPASS I went.

Once I was up and over the Eastern Overpass I yelled to WADE…We did it man we did it.  I didn’t hear anything, so I yelled again and this time I looked over my shoulder.  Wade was not with me.  I realized I had not heard from him since he yelled You Got This Dave…I kept on running hoping he would catch up.

Into my last 3K, I saw myself running down my street, then to the track at the high school. I had hit a wall, was defeated, I didn’t have strength: or did I?  My quads were shot.  The lactic acid was really building up now and I had to shut my mind off if I wanted to finish strong.

I hit the 39th in 5:16, 40k in 5:17. It was my slowest during the whole race!

In my heart, whatever time that was left in my race — I could pour every emotion into the roads. Happiness, forgiveness, acceptance, strength, love and gratitude

Splits: 5:04, 5:06, 5:11, 5:16, 5:17
40K (Actual  3:24:23/ Target: Who Cares Anymore)
Segment pace 5:10K


orig-TWBO6011I knew friends and my family were going to be packing the course during the last 2kms and that lifted my spirits,  I was within view of St. Lawrence Market and the amount of PEOPLE in this area was awesome. While running into the final leg of this adventure I thought of the season that just past, the year of running and of how perfect this day was for running. I could not let this pass up, I kept on telling myself. This is when I need to go and finished strong!  I saw my daughter taking pictures as I ran toward them I was getting emotional again.  My wife with the COW bell cheering GO Honey GO, You can DO THIS!!!I blew a kiss to them to say I LOVE YOU. I was choking back tears: tears of Love, Gratitude, Acceptance and of SUPPORT!  Just when I was about to pass them my daughter threw the camera to Julie and jumped onto the course and started RUNNING with ME!  I was crying now.  In this moment I realized that I had CHANGED, I had smashed all barriers to what someone can achieve when they put the heart and soul into something.  My Something was changing my LIFESTYLE  and realizing that I mattered to a lot of people.  I owed it to myself, Julie, Katie, my brother and his family, my in-laws, my sister, my extended family, my friends, clients and social media friends to be HEALTHY and lead by example to encourage others to improve their lives though proper nutrition and exercise.

Katie and I were running together down Wellington.  I wanted her to come the whole way to the finish line, to be there when her dad crossed that finish line and said YES to life.  I also knew that might not be a wise idea since I was 2km from the finish.  I didn’t know how far she could run but just before I was about to tell her to go back she was gone, back in the loving arms of my wife.  Now to the finish….PUSH, PUSH, PUSH!  My quads hurt so mush but I didn’t CARE.  Pain is TEMPORARY, RACE RESULTS LIVE ON THE INTERNET!

I was doing my best to live in the moment. If it was pain, joy, determination, will, I felt it all at once. I found myself swinging in emotion, from thinking that running is work to thinking that I love to run. I smiled a lot. But it was still work, I reminded myself. I was holding on, waiting for the wheels to come off, but I was holding on. Katie running with me and Julie cheering me on to the finish gave me the boost I needed to get it done!

I was in the moment. and I was now running through I tunnel of people along Wellington street. High fives everywhere!   I was pumped, I was focused, I was determined…I  was ALIVE!!!!

The Home Stretch

The Home Stretch

I turned onto Bay… I was going uphill.  I focused on the view of the City Hall ahead, sucking in as much energy from the crowd as I needed. I saw my friend Tara who ran the half marathon at the side of the road, screaming at the top of her lungs. I’m not sure what she said, but only that I responded by running the hell up the road to Finish Line. The screams from other friends and strangers helped erase the distance even as I had crazy thoughts of slowing down. PUSH, PUSH, PUSH!!!!!


I knew I ran the marathon as fast as I could. I ran it with all the emotion I had brought to the race, to the course to the finish.

As I made the final 500 metres, only one runner passed me…Dig, Deep Dave this is it!!! At 200 meters I sprinted to the finish. I  ran down the chute with a big smile on my face and love in my heart.  I will remember this adventure for the rest of my LIFE — my marathon was over.  I ran it in 3:33:58 and it was the hardest thing physically I’ve ever achieved in my life.  I’m proud of my results and the quest for a BQ is still out there.

There you have it: I’m now a Marathoner and couldn’t be happier.

Splits: 5:06, 4:52, 4:39 (this included the tangents)
42.2K (Actual 3:33:58 / Target: COMPLETED)
Segment pace 4:52K



Categories: Marathons, Race Reports

Tags: , , , , , ,

2 replies

  1. Great blog. Yours is such an amazing story. Keep it rolling brother.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: